SuperDaph

The trials and tribulations of a teenager who's just a little bit different from everyone else.

Friday, October 28, 2005

Supergirls make mistakes too

Supergirls make mistakes too

OMG, I can’t believe I finally made it home.  Tonight has been one of the most difficult ever, at least in the terms of being a superheroine.  Lots of times being plain old Daphne is tough, but usually, well, lets face it, if I’m not trying to hide what I can do, usually anyway, everything is just plain easy as … does “pie” sound to old fashioned.  Scratch that thought:  writing and trying not to sound like a ditz is pretty hard too, but I digress.

Tonight, after my family hit the sack, I got up, slipped into my costume du jour and went out to try and practice saving the world.  I say practice, because, well, unlike in the comic books,  all the real big stuff is sort of beyond my reach.  I mean, I’ll be damned if I know how to stop a hurricane or cure global warming, and, well, I might be able to stop wars and stuff, but not without hurting a whole lot of people, and, for better or worse, that’s something I don’t like doing.  Which is sort of what happened tonight.

As I said, I’m pretty much practicing the whole superheroine thing, picking up what I can from movies and from guys like Jeremy, who are like comic book encyclopedias.  I’m not exactly financially independent either, at least not yet, so my costumes usually consist of some relatively inexpensive clothing that I don’t really give a hoot about and a mask.  Tonight it was jogging shorts and a tank top, just to let you know what sort of stuff I’m talking about.  I may have the powers of those Kryptonian types, but I don’t have the budget or the wardrobe.  Maybe some day….

I’m digressing again.  Tonight was the night I was supposed to practice flying.  I’m pretty good at getting up and staying up as long as I keep moving, but things like turns and landings are still sort of rough, so I got to be real careful where I do it.  So I’d planned on jogging out of the subdivision and flying on over to the old racetrack where I could practice in peace and quiet.  They closed it down years ago, so there’s like no lights, no people, lots of open space, and no one cares if I mess up the grounds with rough landings.  

So, I’m  just about to take off when my superhearing picks up a scream.  A split second later, I think anyone could have seen the woman’s face in the back of the van, but, well trust me, I don’t think just anyone could have did what I did next.  I jumped on, sprinting until I caught up  to the van and grabbed the little ladder on the back.  Thinking back on it, I know I should have just like ripped the back door off and rescued the girl, but at the time it didn’t seem like that clear of a thing.  I mean, who knew, could be the driver was taking her to a hospital or something, and maybe I’d misread the whole situation.  So what I did was climb up on top and slip down into the passenger seat to have a little chat with the driver.  Civilized and thoughtful, right?

Well, it should have been anyway, but my tank top got stuck on the top of the car as I tried to slip into the window, and by the time I finally got in, it was too late.  What happened was pretty nasty, bad enough that even I felt the collision pretty hard.  Bastard ran the van off the road and smack dab into a tree.  He was dead as a doorknob,  pretty much made into human hamburger.  The woman in back, I got her out and left her at the nearest Emergency Room, but I don’t know if she’s gonna live yet.  She looked pretty bad, and in my experience, humans are real fragile.  

I wanted, really wanted to hang around and find out, but talking to the cops is something I’m really not big on, not after the time one told me he was gonna bring me down to the station for questioning and THEN, after we’d been like talking for ages out on the street, decided he needed to frisk me for weapons in the backseat of the car.  Talk about a jerk.  Anyway, even if I didn’t have school tomorrow, hanging around the hospital all night wasn’t gonna work, so I guess I’ll just try and see if it makes the news tomorrow.

Its sleepy time now for me, now that I’ve exposed myself as the bumbling idiot that I feel like.  I just hope, hope that I don’t dream about those poor people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Web Counters