SuperDaph

The trials and tribulations of a teenager who's just a little bit different from everyone else.

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Super Basketball Girl

Super Basketball GirlToday was a good day, or at the very least it was loads better than last night.  School was… well it was school, not much to write about, but until about three o’clock the whole thing was pretty uneventful.  Go to class, get bored, try to pay attention, get distracted and wait for the bell.  That little cycle happened through a half dozen classes and unless I was going to write about what the distractions were, there’s just not a whole lot to tell.  Today’s distractions were relatively boring, even by my standards, so I’m going to let them rest.Basketball tryouts were at 3:30, though, and they at least were somewhat more interesting than the run of the mill stuff, I think.  I already told you about how I got suckered into trying out, and yeah, if you cut out the bs, the real reason is cause I have just a ferocious time resisting a cute guy, even and old guy when he asks me for something.  It’s a serious character flaw, especially in a girl like me, and I’m working on it, but I also know that you gotta recognize your issues to deal with em, right?So why did Coach Collins want me to try out?  Well, even I’m not dumb enough not to think that the guy liked the idea of watching me run around in shorts.  It sounds conceited, but lets face it, even in sweats with my hair a mess and all,  I still get guys staring at me eventually, and the more of me they can see, the weirder it gets.Its almost like another superpower really, although its not exactly one I find useful.  Most of the time, and you may not believe this, but its just a royal pain in the neck.  People want what they can’t have, and I think that’s why guys want me, and its also I think sort of why I want them, but that’s like a whole nother topic which will make a post all by itself.  Back to the whole basketball fiasco.The other reason Coach Collins must have wanted me was because I’d made a fool out of myself in gym class the other day, and he must be convinced he’s got like an assist machine in the making.  He’s right of course, on account of, I can pretty much outplay anybody, but I’d already decided how I was going to handle it.  Playing the complete dork wasn’t going to work.  I’d blown that already, so’s I was going to have to figure some other way to make sure I didn’t end up spending my life on the basketball court instead of out fighting crime, or even, let me just wish, having a social life.I decided it was best handled a different way. I shot the ball.  I shot the ball everytime I got it, and I shot it way, way off.  And when I did throw in a few passes, they were off target rockets or ridiculously high lobs that were never gonna work.  I didn’t want to hurt anyone.  By the time the practice thing was over I felt sure Coach was gonna tell me, thanks but no thanks.  I was dead wrong.  I made the team.Second string point guard, sure, but the girl ahead of me’s a senior, so I gotta feeling I’m going to have to figure out something or I’m gonna be facing the same problem next year.  This year, at least, basketball’s gonna just be one more pull on my time.Speaking of time, there’s one thing about this whole basketball thing I didn’t mention.  Coach picked two of us, both younger girls and told us he wanted both of us to come out for pickup games on Saturday mornings with some guys he plays with.  Now if he’d said that to me alone, I know for sure I’d have gone running right then, but if there’s two of us, it sounds more legit, huh?  I think I’m actually kind of looking forward to the whole thing, in a very weird sort of way.  As far as the girl’s team goes, it does kind of give me something “normal” to do, normal being sit on the bench, but still.  And the pickup games, um, well, I’m gonna make a little confession here.One of my secrets is, I sort of like having big sweaty men with their shirts off around me.  It’s not exactly something I’m proud of, but the fact is, I think I got at least the sex drive of any normal girl, maybe more, but its like really really frustrated.  Its ironic and really a whole mess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Web Counters