SuperDaph

The trials and tribulations of a teenager who's just a little bit different from everyone else.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Dealing with the Devil?

I feel really bad about the way I treated Frank and even Sheila, although a lot less so for her. That Sheila woman is like a major pain in the neck. But I couldn't let them rat me out, even though I was inclined to believe they didn't expect that it would really cause me and my family any trouble, at least immediately. Honest, even though I was pretty PO'ed at them, I tried to be nice. I even drove them down to the hospital once we'd finished talking.

Turns out, if you believe them, that they're sort of like the Men in Black. Only, they don't have any of those little memory things and I don't think their technology is even close to like it is in the movies. But basically, they're like in charge of keeping track of, and sometimes dealing with people and things that the government doesn't want anyone to know about. Seems like there's a real problem with mutants, is what Sheila called them, although Frank called them metas, who seem to live in and among everybody else. Plus, there's apparently some other nasties that they think don't come from earth at all, and the Department tries to keep track of them and occasionally, although they didn't want to tell me about it, they capture them or "terminate" them.

"This is a problem" was my response, and I went on to tell them that I didn't care who was behind it all, I just wanted to be left alone. Sheila said ok, but Frank was smarter and went on to explain to me that even if they did lie to HQ, sooner or later, somebody else would come out. Upshot of it all is, I'm going to cooperate with them, I think, as long as they play nice. Frank's gonna try and get me an appointment with their CO, and he thinks I might be able to work out some kind of deal. I think it was the way that Zapper thing didn’t bother me that got him all excited, but he pretty much implied that maybe they'd even go so far as to pay me if I helped them out sometimes and didn't rat them out, either.

That really got my attention. I still don't think I trust them much, but lets face it, I need money if I'm going to keep up this superheroine thing, and besides, I'll bet there are some scientists or something who could help me out with a costume that doesn't fall apart all the time.

The whole thing makes me queasy, but I didn't see much of any other way to handle it. I mean, I don't want to kill government agents, and there's no other way to really make sure they keep their mouths shut. Short of that, I'm going to have to cut some sort of deal, and this seems like a way to start it, anyway. I know, they could be the bad guys, but how in the heck am I supposed to tell? And even if they are, what am I going to do?

I just hope I'm doing the right thing. Sometimes I think that having superpowers is like crippling or something. I mean, so many things come so incredibly easy, that maybe I'm never gonna develop real skills at doing the hard stuff.

Daph

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Web Counters