SuperDaph

The trials and tribulations of a teenager who's just a little bit different from everyone else.

Friday, July 28, 2006

I am SO ready for summer vacation to be over its not even funny. Sorry if its not super type stuff, but I got a “real life” too, and that’s what’s on my mind today as I realize I’ve only got like two weeks left before I start my Senior year. Yup, I’m going to be one of the “big girls on campus” and the idea that I’m going to have to do something after it, its just beginning to creep into my brain.

Will I go to college? Yeah, probably, on account of I actually can do some seriously wicked test scores, but its not like I’d have a chance of getting in if I didn’t have superpowers. Ever thought about how well you could do on the SAT if you had five or six days to take it while everyone else only had a couple of hours? Well, I’m NOT going to admit to using my supervision to cheat, but I will tell you that I do plan on taking full advantage of my superspeed when I’m dealing with the thing. I can tell you already though, that’s going to suck. Because its bad enough to stare at a question you can’t answer for a couple of minutes, but if I put on the superspeed thing, its going to seem like hours, and I’m going to be frigging miserable. But at least I should get in somewhere, even if its just State U.

What with all this stuff about government agents and bugging my house and all that, its kind of kept me from practicing the whole superheroine gig recently, but I’m thinking that’s not always such a bad thing. Because honestly, I think that the fighting crime thing itself isn’t going to be nearly as difficult as figuring out the rest of my life.

I’m going to need to work on my secret identity, you know, my real life. I think, at least today, that I’m just going to have to rework that one big time. Am I going to have a social life when I get to college? Honestly, while its super tempting to do the whole Linda Danvers, I’m a dweeb thing, that really really works better if you’ve got brains behind the big glasses. Supergirl’s got things I just don’t have, like brains, long thin legs and besides, she’s got a whole lot more patience than I do. And I’m not even going to talk about the advantage of having a superpowered cousin to talk to.

Me, I’m kind of out here on my own most of the time, and while I’ve got a few girlfriends to lean on, I have to be real careful just how I lean on them, and I always have to sort of keep in mind that they’re not always in the best place to know what to do either. I mean, think about it, how many girls do you know my age who spend their time trying to make sure that they differentiate between a super alter ego and a normal one? You know I wear makeup to school to try to cover up my perfect complexion? How many girls do you know who do that? And you think most girls are sympathetic to my plight?

Sighs. Honestly, its not fair to say that I’m going through all this stuff all by myself, but I don’t have many girlfriends I can trust, and guys… jeez, they’ve got just like no clue most of the time. That’s a good thing, I guess for them, but it does kind of eliminate most of them from being my substitute brain.

What I think I’m going to try, in college, and maybe even in small baby steps, is to try to let a little more of the natural me into my everyday self, and sort of see how it goes. I mean, I’m always me right? I’m never going to be an intellectual or head of the class, but does that mean I have to keep my mouth shut and hide in the back all the time? Lots of girls don’t, and some of them are maybe even slower than I am. Guys don’t look down on girls when they’re looking down their shirts, and they seem willing to forgive all sorts of sins in a girl who looks good and smiles a lot.

Me, while I personally have issues with the way I look, know pretty well that guys usually don’t. I’d kill for creamy white skin instead of perpetual tanned look, for long legs and a less in your face chest, but if that’s the hand I’m dealt, well, there’s no disputing that lots of guys like it. And I can smile, honestly, I just have been trying not to do it that much. But maybe just a few more grins here and there, and I can like feel more normal, you know?

Anyways, that's my plan "de jure [sic]", to loosen up the normal Daphne just a tad, maybe to make being normal a little more normal. And today, I'm going to go shopping for a few things to help me do just that.

Daphne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Web Counters