SuperDaph

The trials and tribulations of a teenager who's just a little bit different from everyone else.

Saturday, November 26, 2005

The Non-Event with Ted

As tempting as it was to give the sweet potatos a little extra help, I resisted the urge and took advantage of the millions of nanoseconds I had at my disposal as I went about finishing Mom's sweet potato casserole and got all three big trays of the stuff into the   fridge downstairs.  Then I checked on mom, and finally went to face my destiny.  Corny, huh? Well, it felt like it.

Let me be honest with you about Ted.  I know I've got a crush on him, but at the same time, I'm not stupid enough to think we're going to end up married with a white picket fence or anything stupid like that.  Ted's like.... well, I guess you'd call him an experiment.  Can I even have the hots for a guy just a little bit and let him know about me and still have it stay.. um, well, I'd say normal, but thats like too weird.  I've got guy friends, but I don't mess around with them, not even a little bit, at least intentionally, anyway.  And I've got a very few friends who know I'm more than meets the eye.  I can count them on the fingers of one hand, so adding another one would be a big deal, even if I didn't really like the guy.  And I do like Ted.  I like him enough that I don't like lying to him, and I also think I like him enough to let him be if thats what needs to be done.  I was ready for that when I landed and walked across the empty stadium to meet him.
    
I’m trying to figure out the right words to describe how the whole thing went without giving you a long drawn out blow by blow, because honestly, I don’t think you’d get a tenth of it if I did that. I think, um, the words are sort of like strained and freaky.  I don’t blame Ted one bit for being freaked out, honestly I don’t, but I can tell you I was disappointed and slightly unnerved by the whole thing.  Worst part, is I think telling him, in  a way, put up more of a wall between us than there was before, in spite of my attempts at honesty.

Don’t get me wrong, here.  Ted was way cool about it in some ways.  He immediately got the whole idea that I’m going to have responsibilities most girls don’t, and to his credit, he asked all kinds of questions about my plans, how things work so far, and all that.  But the thing is, on the one hand, Ted stepped right in and showed me that great intellect I admire so much, and, like a moment later, he was getting all puppy like and docile.  The whole scene was just plain weird if you ask me.

My gut feeling is, now that the cat’s out of the bag with Ted, so’s my hopes of having any sort of a romantic thing with him.  I could be wrong, I hope I am in a lot of ways, but I got this feeling that he’s not going to be able to hang with it.  And as much as that hurts, its also not entirely bad, I guess, because I don’t think he’s going to like disappear or anything.  Quite the contrary really, my guess is I picked up another fan I guess you’d say, a friend, I hope, but even I can now see how screwed up it would be to pretend like there’s a whole lot more there for us at this point.

Of course, its not like we said all this, mind you.  What we talked about, well, Ted asked like a million questions and had me demonstrate some stuff like picking things up, flying and the heat vision thing.  And he was excited about that, way more than I am by the whole thing, honestly.  That’s like part of the problem, I guess.  Ted may be smart enough to see past my boobs and look me in the eye, but I’m not sure he’s going to get past the whole invulnerability and super strength thing in the long run.  I flew him home, though, and gave him a good long sweet gentle kiss.  It felt good, I think, but I’m not sure its gonna be enough.



1 Comments:

  • At 11/27/2005 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Guess it takes somebody who's BEEN a teenage girl to capture Daphne's on-and-off feelings about Ted. Me, I could never do that!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Web Counters